Russell Street School Impressions

After visiting the Russell Street Schools website, I was very impressed with the level of innovation. Every grade has an updated and functioning blog that the frequently post to and comment on. I noticed looking through each grades blog that the level of involvement from the students gets greater as the students progress through school. I loved that in the younger grades the students used seesaw to incorporate their learning in class onto the blog through videos the student made themselves. In the older grades, I saw that they were posting in their blog almost daily about the daily activities they do.

I did also wonder if this is something the school requires teachers to do with their class or if it is something all choose to do? I am also curious about how long this takes teachers to do every day or week? Do they have students post the blog in older grades or are teachers solely the one posting?

I was also noticing that there are a lot of whole class pictures and pictures of students posted on each blog. At my school, we have a lot of students who are not allowed to be shown in any media.  I wonder if the school has a policy that says all students can be shown or if they are not closely monitoring who is shown.

Comments

  1. I would think time would be a big factor in this. I send out weekly emails about what we're doing in class, so I guess changing the format wouldn't be as big of a deal. It would also be fun to add in the pictures to the post to really show what they're learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE it that you send a weekly email! I would have loved that for my 2 children, especially when they were little (elementary school). It is very meaningful and it is so awesome that you do that!
      Philomena :)

      Delete
  2. Now, I am also wondering about the amount of time it would take to have a school blogging site such as this. I wonder if the teachers (and the students too) are loving it, or if it is overwhelming. As I perused the blogs, I was thinking about the amount of time taken to post each blog. That's quite a bit. As a parent, it is very engaging and helpful. But, I wonder how the teachers perceive it.
    Great thought!
    Philomena :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scaffolding Blogging

My impressions

Russell Street School Blog Review