EDTECH 537 - Russell Street School Impressions





This website is very engaging. It has a great deal of pictures and information. As I was going through the blogs, I enjoyed looking at all of the interesting things that are going on, but I did notice a few things that I could comment about:





Communication - The avenue for communication in the blogs is wonderful! There were some blogs where parents made comments on their child’s work or things going on in the classroom blog. Additionally, the blogs contained requests posted by the teachers asking for contributions needed for the class. Some of the posts were about classroom activities and assignments completed in class by students, so it was very interesting to look at.





Safety - I noticed some phone numbers and personal information posted. There were front facial pictures of small children. Names were listed on many occasions. There were videos posted with student names of the student speaking. In my school district, we are not allowed to post student information online. We have a digital disclaimer form that parents can sign if they are okay with students being pictured, but I have always been told not to post front, facial photographs of students. And, of course, if parents do not want their children’s photo posted online, we do not.





Timeliness - As I perused the blogs, many of the entries were dated. Some of the blogging areas were not kept current or there was little or no interaction.





Constraints - As a teacher, my concern would be how much time would be appropriate to spend on blogging. Students would need to be trained in digital citizenship and the art of blogging. Depending on the experience of the students using online digital tools and software, there might need to be instruction on downloading videos and pictures to the blog.

Comments

  1. Some of your comments were exactly what I was thinking, like posting pictures of young children online. However, in your constraints was an idea I hadn't even considered: these kids will need trained about blogging. Hmm. I questioned a lot about the time it would take to maintain the blogs, but I hadn't even thought about the amount of instruction time necessary to teach the students to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the exact same things! I wonder about the trade-off that would have to be made in a sacrifice of instructional time. Obviously, this would be a great way to teach students about digital citizenship and technical skills related to blogging, but especially for the younger students, it would require a massive investment of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that the timelines could be a factor as well. My school's secretary is in charge of keeping our website updated and posting information on our Facebook page. One day we checked out the school website and noticed that it had been at least two years since anyone had updated anything. The information about teachers wasn't current, pictures were of students who no longer attend the school... It was a mess. So, I can see how keeping a network of school and classroom blogs current would be quite the feat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the school uses this blog effectively as well. My concerns were for the safety and privacy of the students. There were many photos and I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with my child's information to be public. Overall, I was impressed on the frequency that some students were posting to the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scaffolding Blogging

My impressions

Russell Street School Blog Review