Russel Street Thoughts

Browsing through the Russell Street blogs, I was very impressed. As a parent, to be able to see what my kids are up to all day would be awesome. I also love that you can see what other classes are doing, so there is a sense of community. They have a good mix of written, video, and picture posts.

Team 6s has one of the best blogs. On there’s you could really see so much of what was happening in the classroom. One of the posts had students (or the teacher for the students) commenting on Twitter in response to a book they were reading (I love Wonder! Such a great book!!!). I loved looking through each student’s blog and seeing how they were documenting their learning. It looks like they have a great sense of ownership. I was impressed that the students were even labeling each post with tags. It shows that they are learning more than just writing. Categorizing, technology and so much more can be approached with their blogs.

I noticed the different levels of blogging. The younger classrooms were more reliant on the teacher posting and interacting. But as the students got older, such as Team 6s, they are able to take more control and interact with their learning. The differentiation is very visible with the different blog posts, with some doing videos or pictures instead of writing.

Comments

  1. One of the questions I had about the blogging was whether or not the minute-by-minute parental involvement is always positive in the classroom. Do the parents complain if teachers don't post as often as they would like? Do the students feel the need to have parental comment on all of their activities? Do the teachers feel like the parents are looking over their shoulders all of the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I send out a weekly newsletter and there have been times when I'm late getting it out or missed a week. I've never had a parent comment. But I do wonder if students would get upset if their parent wasn't commenting on their posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scaffolding Blogging

My impressions

Russell Street School Blog Review