Blogs for Events, Reflection, and Show and Tell

When looking through the Russell Street School blogs, it at first reminded of me of what our principal does with his blog. He calls it the Harter Happenings (our school is Harter Middle School) and he posts it every week on Friday. It has upcoming events, meetings, and information that we need to know as teachers. In addition, he also has shoutouts and awards based on teacher recommendations. The first page I looked at reminded me of this as it had different events and activities that were taking place in the school. So using a blog as a way to keep parents informed of events taking place in the community and school would be something to think about creating.

One of the new things that I took away from looking at the different levels' blogs is to use it to have students showcase work they are proud of and why. Using it as a reflection tool is great and helps them get more engaged in the classroom. Quite a few of the blogs had either teacher or student posted pictures and videos of what they were doing in class. The teacher either talked about their impressions of the activity or the students did. In addition, comments were allowed on the blog so that teachers responded or other classmates.

Last, just looking at the different levels, it was clear that depending on the age group, they were able to be more involved themselves versus just the teacher. This is something to think about when I put it in place in my own classroom. I need to think about the level the students are coming in with and how I want to roll it out. Having a blog that I create and post items to at the beginning might be helpful as a model for students before having them start adding their own items and thoughts.

Overall I want to use blogs as a tool for reflection, upcoming events and activities, and for students to post what they are doing and proud of in my classroom. I think this will help keep them engaged and it is a great way to visually show what we are doing in class as this school's page showed.

Comments

  1. My principal posts to twitter and Facebook on behalf of the school. Usually these are pictures of students completing unique activities or points of pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to hear. Does the principal randomly go around? Do students seek her or him out? Do you have an opt out policy when it comes to posting student pictures?

      Delete
  2. Our district has an opt out form parents can fill out if they don't want their child's picture used in any publication. Otherwise, the district can use photos for the website and print options. I'm always surprised more parents don't opt out of the picture use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our district has a similar set up. I am also surprised that I have only had one parent opt out in my seven years of teaching. Maybe it is because there is trust that the teacher is posting it in an ethical and safe way? This is what I wonder each year that I do not have anyone opt out.

      Delete
  3. I appreciated your comment about students being more involved with themselves rather than just the teacher. What a great point! I had never really thought about blogging in that way, but after all...it is about having a voice and being heard so that makes perfect sense. Great observation!
    Philomena :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Philomena! Giving a student voice is something I strive to do more of each year. Blogging I am hoping will create an easy platform and addition when I integrate it into my classroom.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scaffolding Blogging

My impressions

Russell Street School Blog Review